The Society offers various courses or program for the public include the landlubbers and people with physical challenge. The programs include :-
Aquanaut Program (for the beginner)
The program is a training scheme with all the aspects of water safety including safe swimming and the livesaving skills based on the concept of “Sports for All”.
- Preliminary Certificate
- Intermediate Certificate
- Bronze Metal
- Bronze Cross Metal
- Instructor Certificate
- Special Award
- Distinction Award
- Respiratory Cardiopulmonary Practice (CPR)
- International Life Saving (ILS) Bronze Metal
- ILS Pool LifeGuarding
- ILS Open Water LifeGuarding
The Society has forged “Smart Partnership” with USM, IDT, Chinese Swimming Club, PISA, MPPP, Student Welfare Council MPPP, Ministry of Youth and Sport, schools dan private colleges to conduct lifesaving courses and seminars.
The Movement Development
To include lifesaving sport as one of the sports in Penang Tourism. The Society will join MSN, Ministry of Youths & Sports, Ministry Tourism and Ministry of Education to raise the sport among the school children and youths in the country.
Some lifeguards have participated JPA to keep the beaches at Batu Ferringhi. Lifesaving courses conducted by JBS and The Society in 2000 had trained up some members at JPA to keep the “Baywatch Tower” at Batu Ferringhi.
The Society has the lifeguards from CSC, PISA, USM, TARC and members of Swimming Club in Penang.
To carry out international activities and courses, The Society via National Association has been the member of the “International Life Saving Federation (ILS)”, “Royal Life Saving Society U.K.”, “Commonwealth Council of the Royal Lifesaving Society and Asia Pacific Life Saving Council.
The Society has also built the rapport with Surf Life Saving Association, Australia, New Zealand Life Saving Association, Royal Life Saving Society of Hong Kong and Singapore, with this, The Society invites the experienced instructors to train the local apprentices.
Administration and Management
The Society is well administration and management where committees are chosen bi-annually. Below is the list of The Society's committees :-
Formation of Committees
- Management & Advocator (Mr. Lim Chien Ch’eng)
- Administrator (Mr. Geh Thuan Tek)
- Treasurer (Mr. Chan Ewe Aik)
- Lifesaving Trainers (Mr. Ooi Eng Wah, Vincent Ooi)
- CPR Trainer (Mr. Chan Ewe Aik)
- Development & Lifesaving Training Profesional (Mr. Geh Thuan Tek)
- Promotion, Publishing & Publicity (Mr. Kang Guan Hock)
- Documentation & Statistics of Drowning (Ms. Leong Siew Foong)
- Technical (Mr. Peter Khoo Boo Hin / Mr. Lim Chee Gay)
- Public Relations (Ms. Beh Yock Ling)
Mass Sport Development / Programs / Activities
In terms of mass sport development, The Society has engaged the scouts, Tarc, government agencies and other clubs to organize CPR seminar and course, as well as basic lifesaving course.
The groups that benefit from seminars and courses are :-
GBBM, YMM, SCOUTS, DRAGON BOAT CLUBS, DIVISION OF YOUTH & SPORTS, MPPP RECREATION TEAM, STUDENT WELFARE COUNCIL MPPP, HOTEL STAFF, WATER SPORTS OPERATOR, UNIVERSITY SCIENCE MALAYSIA, TAR COLLEGE, PENANG CHINESE SWIMMING CLUB AND PISA.
The trainers have conducted activities at the Penang Chinese Swimming Club, USM Swimming Pool, PISA, Permata, Penang Water Sport Centre and some seasides in Penang.
Organize courses and seminars on CPR, lifesaving and coaching at the state and national level.
Send the members to other states to learn the latest lifesavings techniques.
Assist in lifesaving activity during the Penang International Dragon Boat Festival.
Development of Human Resources
The Society has trained more than 10,000 lifesaving volunteers since it established. In this three years time, The Society has trained 12 CPR Trainers and 21 Lifesaving Trainers who conduct the lifesaving activities to the public.
The Society has three national examiners. To improve the lifesaving techniques, the members are sent to overseas for lifesaving courses and to participate the lifesaving competition in the country and out of the country.
In term of development of human resources, the well-trained lifesaving members and those who have passed the courses organised by The Society will be employed as a “Lifeguard” in the swimming pool or contribute their expertise on a voluntary basis at the clubs such as USM, TAR College, Chinese Swimming Centre, recreational activities and in emergency cases such as during Tsunami, La-Nina, Dragon Boat in Cambodia and the most recent tragedy in Penang where six people have drowned due to lack of knowledge of water safety.
The lifesaving trainers courses that organized at the state level must carry out the practical and supervised by a qualified instructor before taking the examination conducted by two PPKM examiners. All the courses of PPKM are national and the international level.
The exhibition activities and demonstration held at ITPS, volunteers and the government bodies such as the following :-
- Private and Government Carnivals
- Penang Municipal Council
- Youth and Sports Division
- The invitation of the NGOs
The Society has sent three members to attend helman courses and obtained the certificates of competency. Therefore they are eligible to partipate in “Patrol Rescue Boat” competition.
The achievement of The Society at the State, National and International level are as below :-
The Society Participation
- The members participated lifesaving at dragon boat tradegy, where the boat was subsided and five paddlers were drowned in the sea at Macallum Penang in early February 2010.
- The members demonstrated water safety during the water activity – Feb 2010.
- The members took part in the International Dragon Boat Festival Penang – Jun 2010.
- The members took part in the International Dragon Boat Festival – Dec 2010.
- The Honoured Secretary was chosen to go to Dhaka for “Child Prevention Workshop” by PPKM and it is self-financed – Dec 2010.
- The members of The Society took part in the “1st Putrajaya International Dragon Boat Festival” and won 18 medals in June 2009.
- Three members of The Society passed the course of “MATE <500 GT DOMESTIC VOYAGE (RESTRICTED)” and that allow them to drive “rescue boat” to carry out lifesaving around the island in May 2008.
- The members represented the State and the Nation to “Padang International Dragon Boat Race” in Indonesia in August 2008.
- Represented Penang and Malaysia to the International Dragon Boat Competition at CAMBODIA-ASEAN DRAGON BOAT RACE in November 2007 – have saved 5 participants when the boat capsized.
- The members represented the State in Sukma (2006, 2008) and Sukpen (2005 & 2007).
- The members participated National Lifesaving Competition (2006 dan 2007).
- Represented Penang and Malaysia to the International Dragon Boat Competition at Yichan, China and returned with “Malaysia Book of Records”, padding the world's longest distance, 39KM non-stop and without changing paddlers (2002).
- Three members represented Malaysia to SEA Games 2007, Bangkok at the Water Polo game.
- Two members represented Malaysia to SEA Game, Philippine at the Water Polo game 2005 dan contributed Bronze medal to Malaysia.
- The members represented the State and the Nation to “Singapore International Dragon Boat Festival” in July 2007.
- The members represented the State and the Nation to “Padang International Dragon Boat Race” in Indonesia in August 2007.
- The members won the first medal in the Asia Pacific Lifesavings Championship. Malaysia had been waiting this moment to be recorded in the history – 2007.
- Trained the State participants to the Rescue 2006 game in Nov and Dec 2005.
- 5 Oct – National Lifesaving Competition (Pool & Sea) #36 & SEA Open Tournament #2.
- 20 – 21 Sept – National Lifesaving Competition (Pool & Sea) #37 & SEA Open Tournament #3.
- 9 – 12 Oct – “Strategic Planning Workshop cum Examiners’ Seminar 2003” Three committee members were presenting the paper at the seminar.
- 5 – 7 August - LifeSaving Sport Workshop “Lifesaving Sport as a Vehicle for Increased Participation in Life Saving for Youth.
- 7 August – Accepted Special Anugerah for 40th Anniversary.
- 2 & 3 Oct - DHL 1st National Life Saving Sports Challenge Penang 2004
- 24 Sept - DHL 2nd National Life Saving Sports Challenge Penang 2005
- 25 Sept – DHL 1st Open Water Rescue
- 16 Aug - DHL 3rd National & 1st International Invitation Life Saving Sports Challenge Penang 2006
- 17 Aug – DHL 1st Open Water Rescue
- 1 May - Malaysia Book of Records (Non-stop paddling for 39KM, the longest distance in the world)
- 2 Mei - Anugerah from China “The Most Endurance Award”
- 40th LSSM Award
- Mass Sports Awards Penang (Finalist) 2005
- Mass Sports Award Champion Penang 2006
- Members were awarded the “COMMONWEALTH AWARDS” as below :-
Honorary Life Members
President, En. Lim Chien Ch’eng
Vice President, Mr. Lim Chee Gay
Honoured Secretary, Mr. Geh Thuan Tek
Certificate of Thanks
Vice President, Mr. Peter Khoo Boo Hin
Assistant Secretary, Ms. Yap Jin Lee
Honoured Treasurer, Mr. Chan Ewe Aik
Trainer, Mr. Khaw Chin Chai
Trainer, Mr. Kung Poh Chien
Trainer, Mr. Ooi Eng Wah
Mr. Kang Guan Hock
- First Medal for the country came from the members from Penang - 2007
Mr. Geh Cheow Chien
Champion in rope rescue event at Lifesaving Sports Malaysia and International Championship.
Mr. Geh Cheow Chien & Ooi Tze Yang
Bronze in rope rescue event at Asia Pacific Championship.